Many people spend so much time preparing healthy, balanced meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner that they forget about snacking! Unfortunately, snacking has a rather bad reputation. We were always told not to eat in between meals as a child, but snacking is essential to a healthy diet and weight loss.
The problem is that snacking has come to mean sugary, nutrition-less foods like candy and cookies. This may be because we wait until the last minute, when our brain tells us that our body is hungry and we grab anything that is in front of us. And when the hunger has already hit full force, we tend to crave sugar or salt.
A snack should be a light meal, supplying nutrients and energy to our body to keep our mood up and avoid overeating. Snacking can help you lost weight because it curbs hunger. So, when you reach the big meals of the day, you are less likely to overeat because you don’t arrive as hungry. They are also essential in staying energized throughout the day. But, they key is to choose the right snacks. Keep pre-portioned Ziplock bags of these great snacks in your desk to help ward off bad snacking.
The best snacks are:
- Trail mix: one cup nuts, ½ cup dried fruit and one cup whole grain (pretzels or cereal)
- An apple and a cheese stick
- Whole wheat toast with peanut butter
- Vegetables/baked chips with hummus
- Gardenbar: a whole food, gourmet bar made from vegetables, grains, and nuts that satisfies your appetite for savory flavors instantly, anywhere and anytime!
- Whole wheat crackers with low-fat cottage cheese
- Three cups air-popped popcorn
- 14 almonds or 20 pistachios
- A low-fat yogurt